Dog found suffering from chemical burns
A dog suffering from chemical burns was found wandering the streets of Clovis Tuesday evening, according to Cindy Clayton of Cindy’s Hope for Precious Paws Animal Rescue.
The 2-year-old pug was discovered near the Prince Street overpass and was brought to Precious Paws on Wednesday evening, Clayton said.
The dog, which Clayton named Frank, has chemical burns on its neck, head, eyes, and in its left ear. No suspects have been identified, she said.
According to Clayton, a veterinarian with the Clovis Veterinary Hospital said the dog appeared to have been exposed to chemicals and will have to have at least one of its eyes surgically removed.
The pug is the second reported case of a dog with chemical burns in New Mexico this summer.
link Staff photo: Joshua Lucero
Frank, a pug found Tuesday night, suffered chemical burns to his head, eyes, neck, and right ear. Rescuers are sending Frank to a pug specific rescue center in Denver, Colorado, where he will undergo surgery before being given to foster parents.
A 1-year-old dog that appeared to have been doused in acid was found in Lovington earlier in July, according to a KRQE News 13 report.
Clayton said the pug was transported to Colorado on Saturday morning where Colorado Pug Rescue will take Frank to get the surgeries he needs before transferring him to a foster family.
Clayton said that Colorado Pug Rescue is taking donations for Frank's surgery through a link on its Facebook page.
Frank, who will be renamed Clovis upon his arrival to Colorado, has already received adoption requests through Pug Rescue said Clayton.
Clayton and Precious Paws cofounder Dion Van Kuren said Frank is regaining energy and is expected to recover.
link to Colorado Pug Rescue donation page: http://copugrescue.org/help-the-pugs/donate/