Portales to hear nuisance request
December 15, 2019
PORTALES — The Portales City Council will hear a request for an extension to abate nuisance status on a property located at 417 N. Main during its regular meeting Tuesday.
The council approved resolutions to classify the property and another located at 705 W. 17th St. as nuisances and menaces to public comfort, health and safety during an October meeting.
Dora Pacheco made a request for an extension to abate the nuisance claim as a personal representative of the now deceased owner.
Police Chief Pat Gallegos previously reported to the council that the property on Main was left standing after a house fire six or eight years ago and the owners are now deceased. Gallegos said someone had also been living at the property for a time after it had been boarded up, but left after the city told them it was unsafe.
Classifying the properties as nuisances was the first step by the city to give the owners or next of kin an opportunity to contact the city and resolve any issues before more aggressive action would be taken.
Other action items from the 6:30 p.m. meeting at the Memorial Building include:
• The council will ratify bills for November.
• The council will consider a proposal request for a contract negotiation with Professional Engineering Services for on-call services at the Portales Municipal Airport.
• The Public Works Department will present a change request order for the Johnson Hill West Tank project.
• The council will decide whether or not to purchase a new garbage truck for the Solid Waste Department and receive an update on the solid waste collection high-volume areas from PWD.
• The council will receive a presentation of consultant Charles Wilson’s Portales Water Supply and Demand overview for 2018.