The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

Curry declines to issue disaster declaration

 

April 17, 2019



CLOVIS — The Curry County Commission declined to issue a disaster declaration as a result of the March 13 wind storm during Tuesday’s meeting.

Dan Heerding, the emergency management director for the city of Clovis, said winds from the “bomb cyclone” reached 74 miles per hour due to an “almost record-breaking” drop in pressure.

Commissioner Robert Thornton expressed concerns that a disaster declaration could result in an insurance increase for county residents.

Heerding said he did not believe a declaration should impact insurance rates, but he could not say for certain.

Curry County Manager Lance Pyle said the only damage incurred to county facilities occurred at the events center, which will likely need a new roof.

Pyle said the roof will be covered by the county’s insurance, with the only cost to the county being a $2,500 deductible.

If the disaster declaration had been approved, the county would have been eligible for reimbursement of up to 75% of its insurance deductible costs.

Officially the commission voted to table the disaster declaration, though Chairman Chet Spear said after the meeting that the item would not come back in front of the board.

Also during Tuesday’s meeting:

• The commission tabled a request from Patsy Delk, president of the High Plains Historical Foundation, to purchase new windows for the old house located at the county fairgrounds.

Spear said after the meeting that he wanted more information about work that could be done so the replacement windows look original to the building.

• Curry County Events Center General Manager Jeff Blake announced the performers for Tejano night during the Curry County Fair.

Blake said the headliner Los Palominos will also joined by Monica y Mezcal and Rick Fuentes and Brown Express for Tejano night, while an offer is out to an artist for country night.

• Following the meeting, the commission toured the renovation and addition at the adult detention center.

Project Manager Levi Weckar said during the meeting that construction is a few weeks behind the scheduled completion date of Dec. 8, now currently slated for Dec. 24.

“Thank you so much, we’ll be waiting for that Christmas present,” Commissioner Robert Sandoval said.

• Pyle announced that a special meeting may be scheduled for next work for the county to finalize the preliminary operating budget for the upcoming fiscal year, set to begin July 1.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 05/20/2019 21:55