The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

Police seek one in threat case

'Person of interest' says he's not hiding

 

January 25, 2018



CLOVIS — A man identified as a "person of interest" in a telephonic-threat investigation said Wednesday night police know where to find him and that he hasn't made "any threats to anybody."

The man who identified himself as Brian Weiss said he was at his mother's house on Dartmouth Street about 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday and is not hiding from police.

“I do not know why they (police) haven’t come,” he said in a phone call to The News. “They have addresses here for my mom."

Weiss said he is a peaceful man who does not own "any guns or weapons." In addition to the phone call, he responded to The News via Facebook Messenger.

Court records show no active arrest warrants for Weiss or charges pertaining to telephonic threats.

A disturbance at a local church Wednesday prompted Clovis police to issue a press release about the alleged threats, which were not specified. So far police have made three arrests.

The investigation began after the Cannon Air Force Base Office of Special Investigations contacted the CPD Special Operations Unit regarding “telephonic threats ... the veracity (of which) was not known,” police said in the release.

Working together, the agencies identified Weiss, 36, as their sole person of interest.

On Tuesday, a search warrant served at a residence on the 1100 block of Rio Street intended to locate Weiss but instead resulted in three others taken into custody, CPD Captain Roman Romero said.

One of those individuals was Gabrielle Carver, 25, sought for aggravated battery since an unrelated Jan. 9 incident in Clovis. Romero declined to name the other two, citing the ongoing investigation.

On Wednesday, “an individual relayed unverified information to a local church, which was relayed further over social media ... (causing) undue stress within the community,” according to the police release.

Speculation circulated online Wednesday concerning the possible temporary evacuation of a local church, but church staff when contacted declined comment and referred questions to police.

“The only reason we put out the press release is because people were reacting to actions taken by other parties and it had to be addressed immediately,” Romero said.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 09/14/2018 13:02