Cannon announces golf course will be open to civilians
link Courtesy photo: Cannon Air Force Base
From left, Master Sgt. Ralph Bell, Chief Master Sgt. Hank Baskett, and Tech. Sgt. Archie Broussard look on as Dan Williams takes his shot on Whispering Winds Golf Course. Whispering Winds, located on Cannon Air Force Base, is now be open to civilians.
Cannon Air Force Base has announced that Whispering Winds Golf Course on base will officially be opened to civilians.
An application process and background check is necessary before locals can play, however.
Cannon AFB made the decision to open the course to civilians to bring the local communities and Cannon AFB closer together, officials said.
“Cannon AFB continuously seeks to work with our local community partners and explore initiatives to bring us together,” said Capt. Derek White, 27th Special Operations Wing public affairs officer.
A background check is necessary to ensure an element of accountability as to who is provided access to the course. The application process will take about two weeks, and unfavorable background checks and warrants can result in an application being denied. A golf pass will be issued to anyone who favorably completes an application and a background check. The pass will be good for one year, but it is for golf only.
Whispering Winds Golf Course is an 18-hole course, which has small elevated greens and measures 6,032 yards, and plays ay a par-70, for the regular men’s tee. From the regular women’s tee, the course measures 4,954 yards.
Electric and pull golf carts and club rentals are available.
How to apply:
• Call Cannon Air Force Base Visitors Center to apply for golf play access. (784-2400)
• Hours to call Monday-Friday between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
• After completing application, a background check will be performed by Security Forces.
• When background check is completed, a pass will be issued. Pass will be for golf use only, and is good for one year from issue date.
After pass is issued:
• Course hours: Open seven days a week, from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• Green fees: Weekday $22, Weekends and holidays $25.
• Golf cart fees: 9-hole electric $9, 18-hole electric $14, pull cart, $5.
• Balls and clubs: Range balls $2 a bucket, rental clubs $10-25.
— For information call (575) 784-2800 or visit http://www.cannonforce.com/whispering-winds-golf-course.html