The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

By PNT Staff 

Smoke clears Portales courthouse

 

April 11, 2008



The Roosevelt County Courthouse has been closed after smoke was seen coming out the top of the building.

Lance Hill, a battalion chief with the Portales Fire Department, said officials believe a burned motor in the air conditioning unit caused the smoke.

Hill said the courthouse will reopen later today, once the smoke is cleared.

The smoke was reported following a brief power outage just before 10 a.m. today, about 10 minutes before a court hearing was scheduled to begin.

District Judge Drew Tatum said district court emergency planner Vicky Stewart blew an emergency whistle and the building was quickly evacuated.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2016