Roosevelt agrees to pay COVID-19 risk premium
Last updated 1/11/2022 at 4:51pm
The Roosevelt County Commission agreed to additional pay amounting to $200 per pay period as a COVID-19 risk premium for employees who work 80 hours per two-week pay period from Tuesday through June 30.
The extra pay will go to all employees of county departments whose employees must work in the county courthouse because they must interact with the public.
As originally presented, the bonuses were to go to hourly and some salaried employees of the departments, not to other staff or elected officials. Commissioner Tina Dixon’s amendment to make all employees of those departments eligible received approval from commissioners for resolutions enacting the bonuses.
The bonuses will be paid from American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 federal funds according to rules adopted by the state of New Mexico.
The News attended the meeting virtually.
The commission on Tuesday also:
• Approved spending $15,500 to make repairs on the Youth Building in Portales.
• Approved rules for public participation in meetings. The rules bar speakers from personal attacks of county residents and/or county staff members and elected officials.
• Approved state Fire Fund Act grant applications for the Arch and Milnesand volunteer fire departments.
• Awarded a contract for commissary services at the Roosevelt County Detention Center to Keefe Commissary Network, LLC.
• Awarded an investment management services contract for the county to Moreton Capital Markets.
• Elected District III commissioner Shane Lee as commission chair for 2022. District II commissioner Rodney Savage was voted vice chair.
• Noted the departures of Liliana Rivera, finance specialist, and Justin Porter, administrator of the Roosevelt County Detention Center. Layle Sanchez is acting financial specialist, and Lt. Shayla Ramsey is acting as administrator of the detention center.
• Authorized County Manager Amber Hamilton to seek applicants for a position that would combine the duties of finance specialist and assistant county manager.