The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

Curry to discuss fate of fair entertainment

 

June 7, 2020



CLOVIS — The Curry County Commission will look at what could be considered the entertainment portion of the Curry County Fair during its Wednesday morning meeting.

The 9 a.m. meeting at the Curry County Administrative Complex was primarily scheduled for canvassing the June 2 primary election, but now includes a discussion on the fair and various other items.

The meeting will be broadcast at currycounty.org and on the county Facebook page. Comments or questions can be directed to County Manager Lance Pyle at:

[email protected]

Last week, the commission voted unanimously to provide a county fair that would include the junior livestock sale, its assorted livestock shows and anything that would be considered an exhibit from a county resident.

In the same motion, it decided to postpone action on a carnival, concerts, the commercial barn and other entertainment events until June 10, with the hope of receiving more direction from the state on mass gathering possibilities in August.

The fair is scheduled for Aug. 11-15.

Pyle told commissioners if COVID-19 infection numbers remain low, the state plans to allow mass gatherings of up to 100 people. He had not received any directives about relaxations for August, but noted the state has indicated some type of restriction on mass gatherings will remain in place until a COVID-19 virus or cure is readily available. Putting on a full fair with restrictions at 100, or a potential relaxation of 250, would severely limit the fair, which drew more than 29,000 last year.

Contracts for various fair entertainment are $123,000, with $71,500 dedicated to a pair of concerts. Fairgrounds and Events Center Director Kadee Hande has told the commission vendors are willing to push their contracts to 2021 without penalty if necessary, but that June 15 was probably the last date she could possibly inform them of a decision.

In a letter to commissioners prior to the June 2 meeting, Pyle estimated the county would lose $24,000 by canceling the fair, and losses would be between $100,000 and $200,000 if the fair were conducted as normal and there were capacity restrictions between 25% and 50%.

Commissioners said at the June 2 meeting that showcasing agriculture and public exhibits are the core reason for the fair and must continue, and entertaining the community with concerts and carnivals is a lower priority.

Other items on the agenda include:

• An agreement with NCA Architects on renovation and additions to the Curry County Courthouse. The work would include the construction of a new Curry County Magistrate Court.

The county would pay to construct the building, and eventually recoup the expenses by leasing the property to the Administrative Office of the Courts.

• A review of procedures for the Curry County Events Center and Fairgrounds management agreement agreed upon procedures.

• A resolution to participate in the New Mexico Department of Transportation’s Local Government Road Fund Program.

Various work on county roads 2, N, H and 25. The state would cover 75% of the $321,147 costs, with the county paying for the remaining 25% plus any extra expenditures that may arise.

• A resolution to continue participation in the Eastern Plains Council of Governments.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020