The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

Police arrest one sought in shooting


Last updated 4/4/2020 at 12:57pm

Kevin Wilson

Members of the Clovis Police Department work a standoff Wednesday morning. Adrian Robles, 33, was arrested during the standoff for charges connected to a March shooting.

CLOVIS - Police on Wednesday, employing a SWAT team, arrested a man wanted in connection with a March 18 shooting.

Adrian Robles, 33, is charged with assault with intent to commit a violent felony and felon in possession of a firearm.

His arrest followed a pair of run-ins with police on Wednesday morning. Ultimately Robles surrendered without conflict, police said in a news release.

On March 18, police were called to the Clovis hospital in response to a shooting. The victim suffered injuries to his torso and legs, but declined to tell investigators who shot him. An investigation later that day revealed Isaiah Robles, Adrian's brother, was a suspect. Additional investigation found that Adrian Robles was also a suspect. Witnesses said the motive was "a drug debt."

Warrants were issued for the arrest of both brothers, but police had been unable to locate either until just after midnight Wednesday. That's when they were called to the area of Sparrow Court near Hillcrest Park on a report of shots fired.

On arrival, they attempted to stop a vehicle. The driver fled and police soon "heard more gunfire and came upon a dog that had been shot and had died," the release said.

Adrian Robles was identified as the man in the vehicle, but he could not be located, the release said.

Police continued to patrol the area and about 9:15 a.m. "noted movement at a trailer that had been the focus of the earlier call." Officers secured the area and called in the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team and prepared to execute a search warrant at the trailer.

Adrian Robles exited the home just before noon and was arrested.

Police remained on the scene, the release said, because they also hoped to find Isaiah Robles.

"Irritating gas" was deployed into the residence, but no one else was found in the home, the release said.

Isaiah Robles, 26, remained at large Wednesday. He faces charges of assault with intent to commit a violent felony and aggravated battery, court records show.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020