The Eastern New Mexico News - Serving Clovis, Portales and the Surrounding Communities

More rain expected over weekend

 


Staff report

Thunderstorms that rocked most of eastern New Mexico awake early Saturday are being forecast at least through Memorial Day and maybe longer.

Saturday’s early morning downpour pushed the total rainfall measured at Cannon Air Force Base to 2.05 inches since Thursday, according to the National Weather Service in Albuquerque.

Meteorologist Jason Frazier said much of eastern New Mexico can expect more rain Sunday and Memorial Day, though not as impressive as Saturday’s deluge that left water standing in many areas of Clovis and Portales.

Frazier said 1.7 inches of rain fell on the area in the Saturday storm. And while accurate figures aren’t available for month-to-month comparisons, Frazier said “I would guess the amount received the past three days is pretty close to the normal amount you see for the entire month of May.”

Still, the area is at about 20 to 30 percent short of normal rainfall for the year to date, according to Frazier.

The weather service is predicting a 60 percent chance of severe thunderstorms and rain Sunday and a 40 percent chance of the same on Memorial Day. There’s also a 30 percent chance of rain Tuesday and Wednesday.

According to the weather service:

• Sunday: Expect showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 7 a.m. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds. Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. South wind 5 to 15 mph.

• Memorial Day: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 75. South wind 5 to 10 mph.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 07/04/2022 12:11