Day trip: JoyLand offers evening of family fun
Place: JoyLand Amusement Park
Location: Lubbock. Take U.S. 70/84 east to Lubbock. When you arrive in Lubbock at intersection of U.S. 84 and Avenue Q, turn left to Fourth/U.S. 82, which turns into Parkway Drive. Look for brown signs directing to amusement park.
Travel time from base: About two hours.
What is it? An amusement park complete with games, rides for all ages, and even water rides.
What can people do here? There is a water slide, three mini-roller coasters, classic carnival rides like the Ferris wheel and Tilt-A-Whirl, and the new ride, the 140-foot dare-devil drop.
What ages is this best suited for? All ages. There’s even a few rides a toddler can ride, like the mini-boats and antique cars.
How much does it cost?
• Monday: $8 per person, regardless of age. Unlimited rides.
• Tuesday: $9.25 per person.
• Wednesday and Thursday: $37 for group of four, or $10.50 singles. Free fountain drinks from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. with purchase of armband.
• Friday: Bring a can of any Coke product and get $2 off regular armband price
• Saturday: Bring a can of any Coke product and get $2 off regular armband price. $12.95 for customers 48 inches and over; $9.95 under 48 inches
• Sunday: Buy one armband at the regular price and receive another one at half price, when you bring a canned good between 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. or two for $17.95 between 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
• Hours of operation: Weekdays from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Weekends from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., weather permitting. The park closes Sept. 12.
• Information: www.joylandpark.com or 806-763-2719