NSPS transition to begin in July
WASHINGTON — The majority of Air Force civilians will begin to transition from the National Security Personnel System to the General Schedule beginning July 4 and continuing through Sept. 12.
Mandated by the Fiscal 2010 National Defense Authorization Act, the conversion to the GS by the end of this fiscal year supports the deputy secretary of Defense's goal to convert most employees by Sept. 30.
About 90 percent of NSPS employees will transition by Sept. 30; the remaining 10 percent are statutory and DOD-approved exceptions to this conversion timeline, namely deployed civilians, few select medical professionals, and those employees that are transitioning to the Acquisition Demonstration Project.
In addition, employees affected by BRAC activities (e.g., realignment, transfer of function, transfer of work) will transition in accordance with gaining installation BRAC timelines or remain in NSPS through base closure.
Cannon Air Force Base will transition on August 15.