Basewide power outage scheduled
A basewide power outage on is scheduled from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. Power will be restored in base housing areas once the work is completed. This scheduled outage will facilitate the upgrade of a power substation needed to support ongoing construction at Cannon.
Guidance for base residents:
• All FSS activities will be closed during this time except for the DFAC, Drop Zone, Pool, and Golf Course. Anyone seeking refuge from the heat should report to the Drop Zone which will have age-appropriate toys for the kids and will be selling food.
• Open windows to house early to keep house cool (A/C will not be working); draw shades on windows facing the sun
• Have flashlights with batteries available if you need additional lighting
• Keep refrigerators/freezers closed as much as possible to prevent spoilage
• Use coolers/ice chests to store food that you may need that day
• Encourage cooking on outside charcoal/gas grills during outage
• The Drop Zone will be open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. as an air-conditioned refuge for base residents; snack bar will be open
• Pecos Trail will open doors at 6 a.m. as an air conditioned refuge for dorm residents; normal Sunday meal schedule applies
• Golf course will open for golf only (cash/check transactions only); Golf snack bar will be closed.
• The base pool will be open normal hours (generator powered)
• Chapel will be open as scheduled (generator powered)
• AAFES facilities, the Commissary, and all other recreational activities will be closed
• Traffic signals will be out; drive cautiously and obey posted signs
• All non-powered phones will operate normally; phones that use electricity to function (i.e. cordless, speaker, etc) will not work
• 911 service will operate normally during power outage (reminder: cell phones and phones other than 784-XXXX go direct to Clovis 911 Call Center and will be manually routed back to the base once you identify you are calling from main base or Chavez)
For information, contact Public Affairs at 575-784-4131.