Portales paper takes home awards
Last updated ERROR at ERROR
Freedom New Mexico
ALBUQUERQUE — The Clovis News Journal on Saturday received the E.H. Shaffer General Excellence Award from New Mexico Press Association-Associated Press Managing Editors.
The newspaper won the organization’s top award in the division for small dailies for the third year in a row and the seventh time in nine years.
Also at Saturday’s annual Better Newspaper Contest, 15 staffers from Freedom New Mexico papers — CNJ, Portales News-Tribune and Quay County Sun — picked up at least one individual award.
Those honored include:
Clovis News Journal:
• Sharna Johnson: 1. Public Service (Mayor says political e-mail a mistake); 1. News writing (Man recounts finding child driving for help); 1. Series or continuing coverage (Curry County jailbreak); 2. Business writing (Wheatfields Senior Living Center in limbo).
• David Stevens, Ray Sullivan: 1. Editorial writing (Curry County should produce jail documents).
• Stevens: 2. Obituary news (50th anniversary of Buddy Holly’s death).
• Kevin Wilson: 1. Column writing (Rumors spread quicker than flu); 1. Sports column writing (Jimmy Apodaca style to be admired)
• Tony Bullocks: 2. General news photo (House fire); 2. Feature photo (Giraffe keeping cool)
• Lili Castillo: 1. Feature photo (Graduation); 1. Photo series (Little League tournament)
• Staff: 2. Supplements/special editions (Curry County history book)
• Shawn Luscombe: 1. Black and white advertising (Relay for Life); 2. House advertising (Live on KVII)
• Cathy Tapia: 2. Black and white advertising (Furniture Source & Mattress Express); 1. Classified advertising
• Cheyanne Bardin: 1. Color advertising (McDonald’s); 2. Classified advertising
• Albert Monnarez: 2. Color advertising (Tarpley Music)