Early, absentee voting starts on school bond, levy
January 12, 2017
CLOVIS — Early and absentee voting begins Friday and will continue through Feb. 3, as voters decide the fate of a Clovis Municipal Schools general obligation bond, as well as a capital improvements levy.
Officials said early and absentee ballots can be cast at the Curry County Clerk's office at 417 Gidding Street - Suite 130 regarding the $20 million general obligation bond and $2 million capital improvements levy. Election Day is Feb. 7.
Erik Harrigan represents RBC Capital Markets, LLC., which serves as the school district's financial advisor.
"The district is asking voters to authorize up to $20 million in general obligation bonds," he said. "This will essentially continue the existing debt service at the same level and will not result in a debt service tax rate increase. We anticipate selling those bonds over a four year period in installments of $5 million, which could fluctuate based upon district needs. The district's assessed value has continued to grow strong, which allows the district to issue up to $20 million in bonds without increasing the debt service tax rate. If the tax levy vote passes, property taxes would continue for six years at a rate of about $67 for a $100,000 home."
Officials said if passed, districtwide general obligation bond funds would be used for school ground improvements, school building maintenance, activity buses and computer software and hardware purchases — with building specific upgrades below:
• Mesa Elementary School: Furniture, carpet removal and floor polishing, HVAC
• Lincoln Jackson Family Center : Furniture
• Sandia Elementary School: Furniture, carpet removal, floor polishing and parking lot upgrades
• Los Ninos Early Intervention Center: Furniture and roof replacement: Furniture: Furniture
• Zia Elementary School: Furniture, carpet removal, floor polishing
• Arts Academy at Bella Vista: Furniture Furniture and playground upgrades
• Marshall Middle School: Furniture Furniture, windows and doors
• Barry Elementary School: Furniture, carpet removal, floor polishing, roof replacement, HVAC
• Clovis High School Freshman Academy: Furniture Furniture, parking lot upgrades, doors and windows
• Cameo Elementary School: Furniture, windows and doors, carpet removal and floor polishing
• Yucca Middle School: Furniture, carpet removal, floor polishing and doors
• Highland Elementary School: Design and construction
• Clovis High School: Furniture, carpet removal, floor polishing, roof replacement, courtyard turf replacement and tennis court replacement
• La Casita Elementary School: Furniture and playground upgrades
• Central Office: Roof replacement, HVAC