Lots for which to be thankful
November 26, 2013
You knew this was coming, right? You had to see this coming.
- I’m thankful the only thing I really need on Black Friday is a memory card, and I don’t have to set the alarm for 6 a.m.
- linkI’m thankful my mileage and expense reimbursement for the month is the exact amount of my credit card statement, and not a dollar less.
- I’m thankful for Dan Ford, who decided on a whim that he would research New Mexico high school football, and compile annual editions with every 11-man team’s season-by-season results. I’m thankful he publishes a book that I can’t imagine more than 100 people would want.
- I’m thankful I had the freedom to leave for Albuquerque early last week to cover a football game, and not worry about rushing with the inclement weather. I’m thankful I had the same opportunity on my return trip, as much as I may have wanted to hit my favorite Albuquerque spots.
- I’m thankful nobody was in the other lane on that bridge a few miles outside of Santa Rosa with the ice. I’m thankful I was going slow enough that I could use both lanes to gently swerve back and forth out of trouble until my tires regained traction past that icy patch. I’m thankful I had to stop for fuel anyway, so I could catch a breath and process what almost happened.
- I’m thankful for friends who text me picture collages of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and bacon, the bacon wrapped in the rolls and the mix of foods fresh out of the oven, with the caption, “Can we make these?” We call them cinnabacon rolls, and our schedules have yet to let us get together to find out if they’re delicious.
- I’m thankful for coworkers who don’t brag about being faster at typing than me, or laugh with me when the loud host on cable news lets us know when it’s 4 p.m. every day. It’s like a more hilarious version of, “It’s Howdy Doody time.”
- I’m thankful for my friends in Toastmasters, who put up with me and don’t mind when I’m not as good at putting up with them.
- I’m thankful the Internet lets me watch the show I missed last night because work didn’t quite fit my TV schedule.
- I’m thankful for those cookies that are like Christmas wreaths that are made with Corn Flakes, marshmallows and food coloring. There’s more stuff in there, but that’s all I care to know.
- I’m thankful to be able to tell my family I don’t really need anything for the holiday, and mean it. I’m sure they’re not leaving my stocking empty, so I’ll tell them I wouldn’t mind a few particular DVDs and materials for vehicle maintenance.
- I’m thankful for predictable and contrived list-style formats that allow me to do a column one week each year with very little thought.
- I’m thankful you didn’t call me out for making pretty much the same lame send-off joke last time I did this same thing.