Portales man held on drug charges
February 21, 2011
A Portales man already charged with manslaughter has been arrested on drug charges, according to Portales Police records.
Leroy Salaz, 54, was arrested Friday on charges of possession of heroin and possession of methamphetamine, fourth-degree felonies, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor, according to a police report.
Salaz is awaiting trial for manslaughter in connection with the 2009 stabbing death of 25-year-old Marco Bonilla. He was out on bail.
According to the police report:
• A Portales detective received information that Salaz had meth and was selling it from his residence in the 1100 block of West Fir Street.
• The detective obtained a search warrant for the residence, and officers executed it about 8:30 p.m. Friday.
• Officers detained and searched Salaz and another man.
• Three officers searched the home and found a small brown gift box with a bow in a kitchen cabinet. Inside were two small bags of meth and one small bag of heroin. Several diabetic needles were behind the box.
• Officers also found a small bag holding $60 on the floor of the bathroom where Salaz was located. They seized the money because they believed it came from drug sales.
• Monday night, Salaz remained in Roosevelt County Detention Center in lieu of a $11,500 cash or surety bond.