Tornado victim assistance
March 28, 2007
• The Salvation Army is asking that all households whose homes were damaged or destroyed by Friday’s tornado go to the Curry County Fairground to complete a pink form.
Restoration materials — including saws and tarps — are available. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Information: Red Cross at 763-4129 or Salvation Army at 762-3801
• New Mexico Bank & Trust is establishing a Disaster Assistance Fund for victims of the eastern New Mexico tornadoes at its bank branches in Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Clovis.
• Triangle Ace Hardware in Clovis is offering discounts for homeowners buying repair products.
Buyers must have registered with the Salvation Army or Red Cross and be able to provide proof of address.
• To help the victims of local, national and international disasters, cash contributions can be sent to the Mid-Rio Grande Chapter of the American Red Cross, 142 Monroe, NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87108, or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C., 20013.
Internet users can make a secure online credit card contribution by visiting http://www.redcross.org.
• The Postal Service Office in Clovis, Portales and Tucumcari will be conducting a Food Drive on Saturday to help the Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico and tornado victims.
Place non-perishable items next to your mailbox before postal workers deliver the mail.
Information: Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico at 763-6130.
• All recovered pets found by city of Clovis staff will be held at the Clovis Animal Shelter for up to two weeks.
Donations are being accepted toward extending the stay of recovered animals.
• Licensed electricians and plumbers are needed to help reconnect tornado-damaged homes.
Information: United Way of Eastern New Mexico at 769-2103.
• To donate to the local relief effort visit the Salvation Army, 301 E. Second St., the American Red Cross, 108 W. Second St. or United Way, 215 N. Main.
To donate online got to http://www.unitedwayenm.org and click on “donate — tornado relief.”
• The Curry County administration office is compiling a list of the addresses of buildings damaged or destroyed by the tornado. Name, address and a phone number are needed. The list will be turned over to the Red Cross.
• Tornado victims can apply for emergency assistance, such as vouchers, toiletries and food, through the Human Service Department Income Support Division.
• Curry County ISD Office — 762-4751
• Quay County ISD Office — 461-4627
• Roosevelt County ISD Office — 356-4473
• Clients who have lost their Electronic Benefits Transfer cards or food purchased through the Food Stamp program, can get replacements at the Income Support Division located at 3316 North Main St., Suite A, Clovis.
• The Eastern Plains Emergency Action Agencies can provide food assistance vouchers, one month emergency rental assistance, prescription assistance, clothes, toiletries, sleeping bags, bottled water, infant formula and diapers.
• Cannon Air Force Base has established an “Airmen for an Afternoon” program to provide homeowners with manpower to help with storm recovery efforts.
• The 16th and Pile Church of Christ has items to distribute for tornado disaster relief — including nonperishable food, water, clothes and baby items.
Information: Bob Hoy at 791-7415 or Kay Prater at 760-3573.
— Compiled by Freedom Newspapers staff