Area legislators list priorities
January 13, 2007
Sen. Stuart Ingle, R-Portales
• Age: 59
• Occupation: Farmer, rancher
• District: 27, serving Chaves, De Baca and Roosevelt counties
• Time served: Sixth term
•Top legislative priority: The education system is my top priority, particularly higher education.
• Capitol office phone: 986-4702
• Committee Membership: Capitol Outlay Subcommittee, Committees’ Committee, Corporations and Transportation, Economic and Rural Development and Telecommunications Committee, Interim Legislative Ethics Committee, Legislative Council, Legislative Finance Committee, Legislative Structure and Process, Study Task Force, Los Alamos National Laboratory Oversight Committee, New Mexico Finance Authority Oversight Committee, Public Affairs and Revenue Stabilization and Tax Policy Committee.
Sen. Gay G. Kernan, R-Hobbs
• Age: 58
• Occupation: Educator, owns a storage facility
• District: 42, serving Chaves, Curry, Eddy, Lea and Roosevelt counties
• Time served: Appointed in 2002, currently serving first elected term.
•Top legislative priority: Education is my top priority because we need to figure out a way to get our children prepared for college or vocational school.
• Capitol office phone: 986-4274
• Committee Membership: Courts, Corrections and Justice Committee, Education, Legislative Education Study Committee, Legislative Health and Human Services Committee, Public Affairs, Radioactive and Hazardous Materials Committee, Revenue Stabilization and Tax Policy and Water and Natural Resources.
Rep. Brian Moore, R-Clayton
• Age: 53
• Occupation: Owns a grocery store in Clayton.
• District: 67, serving Curry, Harding, Quay, Roosevelt, San Miguel and Union counties
• Capitol office phone: 986-4467
• Committee Membership: Appropriations and Finance, Capital Outlay Subcommittee, Legislative Finance Committee and Transportation.
Rep. Jose Campos, D-Santa Rosa
• Age: 45
• Occupation: Restaurant owner
• District: 63, serving De Baca, Curry, Guadalupe and Roosevelt counties
• Time served: Two terms.
• Top legislative priority: To acquire funding for the $2.1 million multi-use theater complex at Bella Vista Elementary (Clovis).
• Capitol office phone: 986-4242
• Committee Membership: Business and Industry, Economic and Rural Development, Telecommunications Committee (Interim), New Mexico Finance Authority Oversight (Interim) and Transportation
Rep. Keith J. Gardner, R-Roswell
• Age: 39
• Occupation: Sports trainer, business owner
• District: 66, serving Roosevelt, Chaves, Lea and Eddy counties
• Time served: One term
• Top legislative priority: Fiscal responsibility and tax issues.
• Capitol office phone: 986-4211, 986-4300 (switchboard)
• Committee membership: Taxation and Revenue, Conservation and Public Affairs and Printing and Supplies.